transcribed amd
submitted by 
Dorothy - Dianna


Source: Gold Star Mothers
by Henrietta L. Haug, 1941
(move mouse over writing in image and left click to enlarge)

This book is a collection of writings by Mothers whose son served the WWI.  There was only 1 letter by a Mother from Wayne Co., IL.

Thank you Dorothy Faulk for finding this!


Wayne Co., ILGenWeb site


I, Martha A Wise, daughter of Elliott and Zelphia (Green) Wise, was born September 25, 1864, Big Mound Township, Illinois.  On December 5, 1886, I was married to George J Book.  We had the following children:  Roy, Ethel, Eldon, Mary, Pete, Ira, Alice, and Marjorie.  I am years old, live in Fairfield, Illinois, and enjoy good health.  My husband passed away September 24, 1929.  Six of my children are still living.

My son, Sergeant Eldon Book, was born march 28, 1895, at Merriam, Illinois.  He remained at home until 1916 when he became 21 years of age.  He then departed to Iowa.  After remaining there for a time he went to Rockford, Illinois, where he was employed in a manufacturing plant.  While there he volunteered his service in the army soon after the war was declared.  He enlisted in Co. K, 7th Infantry.  After having received his neccessary training, he served for some time training other recruits.  Not being satisfied to serve only at home, he asked to be sent to Europe.  Having had his request granted he crossed the waters in May, 1918.  Previous to that he was in Ft. Bliss, Texas, Gettysburg and Camp Green, North Carolina.

Shortly after arriving in France he was engaged in active serviceat the front.  He fought with the Third Division at Chauteau Thierry in the battle of the Marne and in Belleau Woods, St. Mihiel and Argonne.  On the twelfth day  of October, 1918, he was struck in the shoulder by a machine gun bullet while in command of his platoon.  His friend, Walter E McLiwrath, whom he had met in the camps and with whom he crossed the water, with whom he also fought, saw him fall.  Just as dusk came on, this friend went back to find him.  While he was lifting him up to give him a drink of water, for which Eldon had asked, a bullet struck him in the lung; he died before the first aid station was reached.  He departeed this life at the age of 23 years, 6months, and 14 days.

The remains of Sergeant Book were brought back to theUnited States and arrived at Barnhill, Illinois, August 13, 1921, and were laid to rest in Maple hill Cemetary at Fairfield, Illinois, on Sunday, August  14, 1921.

The Anthony Wayne Post of the American legion had charge of the funeral services and he was laid to rest with full military honors.

Sergeant Book's great-great grandfather fought in the Revolutionary War, and was one of the men who guarded Major Andrees, after his capture on his return back to the British lines, after his secret visit to the  traitor, Benedict Arnold.  He was present and one of the guards when Washington had Andres hanged as a spy.

By Marjorie Book

Martha A. Book
501 West Center Street.

May 22 2008
Copyright © Mar 1999-Dec 2009  D. Williams;
All rights reserved.
Last rev.
Tuesday, 24-May-2016 21:11:52 EDT